Everything you missed from ‘The 2016 Game Awards’
Overwatch just took top honors as Game of the Year at this year’s The Game Awards. It beat Doom, Inside, Titanfall 2, and Uncharted 4. Eligible games had to have been out after November 24 of last year and before November 24 of this year.
While accepting the award, Blizzard’s Ray Gresko said, “While we’ve been very happy with how the game has been received, we’re also extremely proud that this game and the world that we’re building has a message and it’s a message about heroism. It’s a message about diversity. It’s a message about a bright and positive and hopeful future. And these are all things that we really believe everyone needs a little bit of right now.”
The Game Awards’ other winners were:
- Best Mobile and Handheld Game: Pokemon GO
- Best Family Game: Pokemon GO
- Games For Impact Award: That Dragon Cancer
- Best Independent Game: Inside
- Best Multiplayer Game: Overwatch
- Best Esports Game: Overwatch
- Best Action-Adventure Game: Dishonored 2
- Best Action Game: Doom
- Best VR Game: Rez Infinite
- Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter V
- Best RPG: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood & Wine
- Best Strategy Game: Civilization VI
- Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 3
- Best Game Direction: Overwatch
- Best Art Direction: Inside
- Best Narrative: Uncharted 4
- Best Esports Team: Cloud9
- Best Esports player: Marcelo “Coldzera” David (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)
- Best Performance: Nolan North, Uncharted 4
- Best Music/Sound Design: Doom
- Trending Gamer: Boogie2988
- Most Anticipated Game: The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
A Brand and Digital Marketer by day, a tech enthusiastic social media-friendly geek who produces content and can’t live without films by night.
In short, I notice things for a living and try to point them out to people. I write about movies, television especially superhero films, pop culture and Hollywood. When not listening to start-up pitches, I play with puppies and pretend to like craft beer.
You can follow me at the below social media handles. Don’t forget to keep your sense of humor.